This is hands down one of my favorite recipes, again from the geniuses over at Real Simple. They helped me tackle and embrace leafy greens like the collard greens below. Great comfort food, fairly healthy and all around yummy.
Crispy Chicken & Garlicky Collards Recipe
- 1 3 1/2-pound chicken, cut into 10 pieces and skin removed
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cups multigrain cereal flakes, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 bunches collard greens, thick stems removed and leaves cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat oven to 400° F. In a large bowl, toss the chicken and mustard to coat.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cereal, 1 tablespoon of the oil, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Coat the chicken with the cereal mixture and bake on a baking sheet until golden and cooked through, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the collards in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, rinse, and squeeze out the excess water.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, collards, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with the chicken and lemon.
- Per Serving
- Calories 395
- Calories From Fat 34%
- Protein 37g
- Carbohydrate 31g
- Sugar 3g
- Fiber 8g
- Fat 15g
- Sat Fat 3g
- Sodium 468mg
- Cholesterol 92mg
By Sara Quessenberry and Kate Merker, February 2009